two things finished this week:
- "queen gorgo" gown for hakatrip
, based on the movie "300", which i finished on friday an hour before the party to which it was to be worn was starting. i still need to sew a tag into it and get pictures taken, but after such a late delivery i wasn't going to make a further ass of myself for insisting it be done before leaving my posession. here's sort of what it looks like:
this is the *only* full-length picture i was able to find. even skimming through the film, we weren't able to improve on the information much - there's one shot, about half a second long, where the back of the gown is sort of visible, and it's still buried under her waist-length hair ... so i had to make this one up as i went along. i'm fairly pleased with how it came out, but wish i'd had more time to tweak the fit and drape (partly my fault for procrastinating a bit, partly just because it was a rush order).
i made the body of the gown of pale cream-colored linen, about shirt-weight; i made the straps from naugahyde backed with black craft felt for comfort. the belt buckles at the side with a brass buckle and grommeted holes, and the shoulder straps cross at the lower back to loop around the belt. there's a train of linen from one shoulder that drapes to just above the floor.
also finished this week...
- "rapunzel" dress for yoric77
's cousin. i decided to do a medieval-style dress with a padded circlet headpiece, for the "princess" look. originally intended for halloween night, the deadline got bumped up to saturday afternoon the 27th. she provided the fabric: the pink fabric is a semi-sheer chiffon-ish type; i think it used to be curtain sheers. the white satin-ish fabric i recognized as having once been a bedsheet. there was some confusion and potential drama with the trim, which i won't go into here. it's what i was given to work with. and this is how it came out:
|Heather's Rapunzel gown 1|
pink and white semi-sheer medieval style gown; padded circlet headpiece with attached veils. sewn for halloween 2007.
|Heather's Rapunzel gown, sleeves|
showing the fitted inner sleeve and the gathered trumpet sleeves on top - gown is one piece.
|Heather's Rapunzel gown, torso and headpiece|
easier to see the two separate veils in this shot, as well as the contours of the padded circlet.
to make this gown more "period", to satisfy my inner perfectionist, (and if i'd had more time/resources and been paid for it) i would have:
- used a different fabric (wool, cotton, linen, or velvet)
- used jacqard ribbon trim instead of the braid and satin ribbon pictured
- sewn the gown as two pieces, a closer-fitting undergown and slightly looser overgown, but with the same necklines and sleeve styles
- made the belt a bit longer, with a bit of beaded or embroidered embellishment; also weighted the cords in front with beads/tassels/a small pouch
- probably made the circlet a bit smaller, with more trim and with the veils secured more thoroughly (but hey, it's pretty good for a first attempt, no?)
but she's extremely happy with it - thinks it's "awesome plus cookies" - and that's really what matters. besides which, i got to learn a bunch of things:
- how to make a padded circlet headpiece (or, how i *can* make one, not necessarily how it *was* done),
- that i really really really love the elizabethan smock pattern generator
even more than i thought i did, and it *was* a whole lot,
- that i shouldn't run my poor little cast-iron singer constantly for 6 hours attaching trim if i don't want to burn my foot on the pedal,
and last but not least,
- that i probably need to go shopping *with* people if i want them to get something specific for a design, at least if they're not terribly familiar with sewing terminology.
up next, in very rough order of priority (pending more orders with closer deadlines, that is):
- excavating the sewing room from underneath all our boxes and excess crap, and setting it up to be functional, so that i can stop taking up our entire dining room with my costuming fallout
- finish hemming the neighbors' curtains so they can give me more
- fun goth-y style straitjacket for gerbilfluff
- muslin lining for yoric77
's cloaks, so he can start patchworking his flannel linings
- mock-ups for elizabethan corsets for myself and greenchimes
(the first step toward noble garb!)
- a breast-binding garment for a friend (which will make an interesting challenge)
- various household repairs that have needed doing for years, which have been sitting around not getting done
- suit for "scarface" dummy, for gerbilfluff
's "ventriloquist" costume (that's the batman universe, if anyone's confused)
- dr. crane's full-body "straitjacket" from batman begins, for gerbilfluff
- designs for our household to wear for convergence in july (tribble gowns - long story, chi's bakery dress from chobits for greenchimes
, klingon animal - yes, the muppet - for yoric77
- my re-creation/interpretation of jane seymour's 1536 french gown, from the holbein portrait, and all necessary underpinnings
and with that, it's past time for me to go to bed.